11 Surprising Winter Tire Facts
It’s getting cold out there! Here are some cool facts about winter tires:
1) Winter Tires were first invented by John Boyd Dunlop for bicycles in 1888. Years later, Suomen Gummitehdas Osakeyhtiö created the modern winter tire for automobiles at Nokian Tyres in 1934.
2) 200,000,000 units of winter tires are expected to be sold in 2019
3) China is one of the biggest buyers of winter tires, using 40,000,000 units just in their country.
4) Even though chains are uncommon, they can improve stopping distance by 100 percent
5) The most popular winter tires brands are Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin, Continental, and snow tire
6) The best time to purchase winter tires in when you originally purchase your vehicle, but if you need new tires, end of summer/early fall will give you the best selection
7) Winter tires last 4-6 years on average
8) Winter Tires work best in temperatures of 7 degrees or lower
9) Softer rubber is used when manufacturing winter tires to help provide grip
10) You will still slide on ice with winter tires, regardless of how good your tires are. This is because it is not always possible to grip the ice.
11) The terms snow tires and winter tires are used interchangeably, but winter tires are designed to grip both snow and ice.
Is it time for new winter tires? View our specials online.
The post 11 Surprising Winter Tire Facts appeared first on Crown Toyota.
Source: Crown Toyota Blog